Monday, September 23, 2013

Week #5 ~ Achieving Lumberjack Status

This week as witnessed by Elder Vance: 

Monday, Elder Smith and I went to the church gym to play basketball and then he played the piano so he won’t get rusty.   We shopped at Hy-Vee, which is like Wal-Mart but only has food in it.  After that we went to family home evening with the Watersons family.  It was great, then went to our apartment and went to bed. 

Tuesday was pretty calm for the most part and we just went to some less active members houses and shared a little message with them and talked with them to see if we could do anything for them.
Wednesday was interesting.  I had exchanges with the other elders in our district.  Elder Smith went to their apartment for the rest of the day and through the next morning and Elder Q came to my apartment and did the same thing.  After the day was up and we switched back.   I am so happy that I am paired with Elder Smith and not Elder Q.  Elder Q has tons of CD's that have country songs and pop songs like Imagine Dragons and stuff like that and he doesn't have any church songs at all and he sometimes spouts off a few choice words swear words.  NICE very missionary like!  So I was glad to have Elder Smith back.
Thursday, we went over to the Watersons house to do service for them.  They needed their lawn mowed and lots of logs chopped into smaller pieces for their fireplace so Elder Smith started to mow their lawn and I went to chop the logs.  When I saw the logs I was a little worried that I wouldn't be able finish chopping them.   When Elder Smith finished with the lawn, the logs that were left were basically big stumps that you would use to chop other wood on.  They were also infested with termites.  So Brother Watersons got his axe out and a large metal wedge for me to use.   I loved coping that wood!  I got it down to about three smacks of the flat side of the axe on the wedge to split the log. After so many hours of chopping wood I may be close to achieving lumberjack status!   Every time the log would split, hundreds of termites would fly out of the log because I would hit it so hard and they would land all over my legs and shoes.  (Don't worry mom, I washed my cloths and they are termite free).
Friday we did a lot of service, our ward adopted a two-mile section of the highway and we spent most of our morning walking along the highway with trash bags and orange vests picking up trash.  We found a lot of interesting things that day on the side of the highway, collectively we found: a large section of a gutter from a house, tons of beer cans, lots of things from McDonald, a metal grate, a hard hat and a drug kit with needles. We wrapped it up in a trash bag so we could properly dispose of later.  All in all a very interesting day.
Saturday, Elder smith and I went to a less active members house for some more service.  Her name is Sheela, her house is infested with cockroaches.   She makes her own cigarettes and smokes about five of them a day.  We went over there and did all of her dishes for her, the dishes almost reached the roof and were about a week and a half old.  It took us about three hours to do and we smelled like smoke, so we went back to our apartment and changed and washed our cloths. Then the fun part of the day, we talked to Kyle, the guy who is getting baptized and we taught him some more about the Gospel and about the importance of being baptized.  He is still on track for this Saturday to be baptized.   It was amazing!
Sunday, I gave a talk from one of the General Conference talks, we have two sister missionary’s in our ward also.  They talked from General conference talks also.

So that was my week,


Elder Vance