Monday, May 12, 2014

Week # 38 ~Mothers Day Call


Hello family,

I had tons of fun SKYPE-ing with you guys yesterday!!  It made my day tons better. I love you all!

It’s 85 degrees out side with 50% humidity, which makes it feel like 100 degrees out side. It is really really HOT!   I have sweated through my clothing completely.  I woke up three times through the night soo excited to call you guys.  We set multiple alarm clocks so we can wake up.

Today, we did norming studies, reading exercise then out the door to our first appointment by 10 a.m.   

I am riding my bike a lot but am still in need of getting my back tire fixed.  My companion Elder Bailey also has a flat tire, so it looks like we will be driving to the bike store tomorrow. 

I am learning as a missionary to be patient.  Also great resistance to second hand smoke.  Lots for people smoke here and just seem to blow it in your face. 

We are reading from the D & C ops…we were asked to call D & C by its name Doctrine and Convenience from now on so people are to confused.  Yesterday we were taught in church about the Donkey that spoke.  It was awesome.  You should all find it and read it. 

My companion Elder Bailey is from Monticello Utah.  His mom stills lives there.  He has a ton of family.  His dad lives in Alaska and wants to be a state trooper.  He is the oldest child.  He is so fun and we are great frinds.  Transfers are Thursday, He thinks he will be transferred, we both hope not!  He has been her in GI for 6 months so it is very possible. 

My mission so far is awesome.  Tons of store compared to my last area, and thunder storms, lightning, rain and more thunder for just a few minutes then it is done.  Crazy. 

We tract during the day.  We usually have, or try to have members set up appointments for us.  They will drive us there and stay with us while we teach.  That is preferred. 

Also I need a conversion story from my ancestors, four conversion stories, and one from each line.  So if you could find some,  that it would be super. 

We are teaching this girl named A.  She is super exited about the church.  She has been gone for a month, to a drug rehab program for marijuana abuse.  She has committed to be baptized but she needs some time and work before that. 

We are also teaching a guy and his girl friend.  They are true red necks!  The only problem is that his girl friend is still married to another man who will not give here a divorce.  We are teaching them a lot.  BUT he needs to move out or marry his girl friend before he can get baptized.  He is genuinely interested and asks great questions about the Book of Mormon and the Bible.  I have enjoyed and been able to answer his questions.  They are going to have a baby together, so it is very complicated. 

Another family that we are teaching is a family where the women were sold into the circus when she was very young.  She is married to a man that she met in the circus another performer.  They have left the circus and live in Grand Island NE now.  We are teaching them, but it is a little distracting.  Well… She is the bearded lady.  Yes, full on duck dynast beard.  She usually has it in a front ponytail, like her back ponytail.  She is married to the strong man, who ironically has very little hair.  She still has an agent and preforms.  Kind of different.  But they are fun to teach and very interested.  Can a RS President have a beard?  Maybe you should ask President Uchtdorf?  Any way they are great investigators!

I have enjoyed and been surprised that people, especially the youth look up to me as a missionary.  They almost hang on every word I say.  I just hope I can inspire them and pray that I can say the “right “things. 

We do service 8 hour a week.  We have been building with Habitat for Humanity.  Building pretty nice houses for people who could not other wise afford them.  Everything from floor to roof.  We have no power tools except for one saw and have to hammer and saw the rest by hand.  It have been very fun building walls and standing them up and seeing a home build for way less that it would cost other wise. 

It was super nice to talk to you yesterday. 
I love you guy TONS.   Happy Mothers Day MOM, I love you!
Love Elder Vance

Mothers Day Call -Happy Day!!